Monday, April 7, 2008

60 Minute Rolls

I've been totally struggling to make bread "work" since I moved from Texas to Utah, but these rolls are fool-proof and super easy - I do every step in my mixer with the bread hooks (including the kneading). I feel like I'm totally cheating, but they turn out, so it's worth it! :)
This dough is also great for pigs in a blanket and cinnamon rolls. :)

3 1/2 - 4 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons yeast
1/2 cup water

Mix 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Set aside. Combine milk, water and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave until quite warm. All butter need not be melted. Gradually add to dry ingredients and beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add 1/2 cup flour. Beat at high speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in enough flour to make a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface (I cheat here and just keep it in the mixer on the knead setting); knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Place in greased bowl, turning to grease the top of the dough. Cover lightly and place bowl in a pan of warm water. Let rise 15 minutes. Shape into rolls, let rise 15 more minutes.
Bake at 425 for 12 minutes or until golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment